Sewing Tip: How to Clean Your Iron and Remove Burn Marks – Woven Noise

Your cart is empty.

Timeless Style with the Touch of Fabrics We all Love

09 Jul '16

Sewing Tip: How to Clean Your Iron and Remove Burn Marks

We all know the importance of a good steam press while sewing, but when was the last time you cleaned your iron? Cleaning an iron can be made simple with just a few quick steps.  Restore your iron's plate surface from fusibles, facings and sticky residue. For Exterior Cleaning: Unplug your iron, use a clean cloth or cotton pad dipped in white vinegar.  Wipe the soleplate until you have removed all residue on the surface.  If you have burn marks or extra build up, make a paste by adding baking soda and spread it on the surface. Use a brush and gently clean the soleplate, do not however use any type of wire brush as it may cause damage to the surface. Use a cotton swab for the steam vents and remove any remaining vinegar with a damp cloth.  Heat the iron on a low setting and give it a test run. Repeat the process if necessary.  For Interior Cleaning: Empty the water from the iron's reservoir.  Fill the reservoir with equal parts water and vinegar, then turn the iron on and steam for 5 minutes.  Dump the remaining liquid out and fill it with distilled water then steam to remove any traces of the vinegar solution. Wipe off with a clean cloth and Cheers you are all done! SaveSaveSave

7 Comments

Thanks! I am going to try this when I get home, I was ironing some fabric earlier and notice some burn residue

Posted by Vida Cruz on December 06, 2016

The white vinegar worked great for me.

Posted by Debbie on October 06, 2016

Thank you Jude for the quick tip! I love the idea of using a dryer sheet for the sticky removal and for the awesome smell. Looking forward to trying this!

Posted by Simone Gill on July 14, 2016

I saw a tip on TV that is simple and quick to use while you are in the middle of sewing! Take a couple dryer fabric dryer sheets, fold them s couple times into a square pad. Leave your iron on, put the dryer sheet pad in the center of a folded up hand towel (I use a wash cloth) rub over the sole of the iron. Tah dah! All iron on facing gook is gone! Continue to wipe the sole until it is sparkling clean with your towel. Plus the dryer sheet smells so good! This does not take the place of good ole vinegar for a annual deep cleaning but sure works great for a quick one. Also makes the polished iron sole nice and slippery again!

Posted by jude on July 13, 2016

Excellent opinion.

Posted by Chandra malanie on July 12, 2016

I’ve had my iron for years now and have never cleaned it. Great idea, I have to get on it!

Posted by Celeste on July 11, 2016

This is very nice to know. Will have to give it a try!

Posted by Karen on July 10, 2016